consult : 多指向权威或有识之士请教或咨询。
- If the symptoms get worse, consult your doctor.
- I'm not quite sure how to get there - I'd better consult a map.
negotiate : 正式用词，指双方通过争论或讨论最后达成协议等；也指通过商议从而解决问题。
- The government has refused to negotiate with the strikers.
- I'm negotiating for a new contract.
- I've managed to negotiate (= get by discussion) a five percent pay increase with my boss.
confer : 正式用词，强调对观点或意见的交换。
- I need some time to confer with my lawyer.
- He wanted to confer with his colleagues before reaching a decision.
- He conferred with Hill and the others in his office.