区别辨析drill、exercise、practice、training与discipline

drill、exercise、practice、training与discipline都有“练习、训练、锻炼”之意。

drill : 侧重进行有系统的,严格和重复的练习,尤指军事训练。

  • In some of these schools, army-style drills are used to instil a sense of discipline.
    这些学校中有一些利用军训来培养纪律观念。
  • a spelling/pronunciation drill
    拼写/发音练习

exercise : 主要指为强壮体魄而进行的锻炼,也可指进行练习以保持已经获得的技巧。

  • Swimming is my favourite form of exercise.
    我最喜欢的锻炼方式是游泳。
  • You really should take more exercise.
    你真的应该多进行体育锻炼。
  • I do stomach exercises most days.
    大多数时候我做锻炼腹肌的运动。

practice : 指把所学的理论或知识用于实践以获得技艺与技巧。

  • I need to get some more practice before I take my driving test.
    考驾照前我还得再练练。
  • Are you coming to choir practice this evening?
    今晚的合唱训练你来吗?
  • She's never at home because she spends all her free time at hockey practices.
    她从来都不在家,因为她把所有的空闲时间都用在练习曲棍球上了。
  • You'll gradually get better at it - it's just a question of practice.
    你慢慢会更熟练的——这只是个练习问题。
  • I'm a little out of practice (= I haven't had any recent experience) but I'd love to play.
    我最近没怎么练习,但我愿意参加。
  • Do you mind if I have a few practice shots before we start the game?
    开赛前我练几下投篮你介意吗?

training : 普通用词,泛指为从事某种职业而进行的身体或智力方面的训练。

  • a training course
    培训课程
  • a teacher-training college
    师范学院
  • New staff have/receive a week's training in how to use the system.
    新员工要接受为期一周的计算机使用培训。

discipline : 既可指训练又可指为达到某种熟练程度而进行的约束。

  • parental/military/school discipline
    父母的训导/军事训练/校规
  • There should be tougher discipline in schools.
    学校的纪律应该更严一些。
  • I don't have enough (self) discipline to save money.
    我总是控制不住自己花钱的欲望。