Xi Jinping thought on diplomacy of socialism with Chinese characteristics for a new era
Xi said since the 18th CPC National Congress in 2012, facing with the vicissitudes of the international situation, China has overcome difficulties to push forward major country diplomacy with Chinese characteristics in a groundbreaking way under the strong leadership of the CPC Central Committee, having withstood various challenges, cracked hard nuts and made achievements of historic significance.
Through these practices, China has accumulated useful experience and came to the conclusion that conducting external work requires taking into account both domestic and international situations, maintaining strategic confidence and resolve, putting forward innovations in diplomatic theory and practice, promoting strategic planning, advancing diplomatic agenda globally, safeguarding China's core and major interests, upholding win-win cooperation and justice while pursuing shared interests, and thinking about worst-case scenarios and risks.
"We have kept a firm hold of the development trend of China and the world in the new era since the 18th CPC National Congress and made a series of important innovations on external work in theories and practices, thus forming the thought on diplomacy of socialism with Chinese characteristics for a new era," said Xi.
- Uphold the authority of the CPC Central Committee as the overarching principle and strengthen the centralized, unified leadership of the Party on external work;
- Advance major country diplomacy with Chinese characteristics to fulfill the mission of realizing national rejuvenation;
- Take preserving world peace and pursuing common development as the purpose to promote the building of a community with a shared future for humanity;
- Enhance strategic confidence with the socialism with Chinese characteristics as the support;
- Forge ahead the Belt and Road construction in the principle of achieving shared growth through discussion and collaboration;
- Follow the path of peaceful development on the basis of mutual respect and win-win cooperation;
- Develop global partnerships while advancing diplomatic agenda;
- Lead the reform of the global governance system with the concept of fairness and justice;
- Take national core interests as the bottom line to safeguard China's sovereignty, security and development interests;
- Nurture a distinctive style of Chinese diplomacy by combining the fine tradition of external work and the characteristics of times.
"We should thoroughly implement the thought on diplomacy of socialism with Chinese characteristics for a new era, continuously facilitate a favorable external environment for realizing the Chinese Dream of national rejuvenation and promoting the building of a community with a shared future for humanity," said Xi.
Xi stressed that the country's external work should be based on the overall plan of the CPC Central Committee, and should further improve its layout and highlight its priorities.
The external work should focus on the key points in time of the Party and the country's work to break new grounds, as in the next five years, the country's first centenary goal is expected to be realized, and the process to realize the second is expected to begin, with a series of significant moments and events in the period, he said.
The flag of a community with a shared future for humanity should be upheld to help make the global governance system fairer and more reasonable, and the construction of the Belt and Road should be solidified and deepened to elevate the country's opening up to a new level, Xi continued.
Xi noted that diplomacy represents the will of the state, and the diplomatic power must stay with the CPC Central Committee, while the external work is a systematic project. He thus asked political parties, the government, the people's congresses, the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, the military, local authorities and the public to improve their coordination and make their own contributions, so as to form a new situation of the external work under the overall leadership of the Party that coordinates all sides, and ensure that the foreign policies and strategies of the CPC Central Committee are implemented.
Stressing that cadres are the decisive factor after setting the political course, Xi called for a strong contingent of foreign affairs personnel that are loyal to the CPC, the country and the people and are politically solid, professionally competent and strongly disciplined in their conduct.
He called on foreign affairs cadres to enhance ideal and belief education so as to upgrade their competency and overall quality, and he also called for improving the living conditions of personnel stationed abroad so as to iron out their concerns and worries.
Xi stressed that the reform on the institutions and mechanisms concerning foreign affairs is the internal demand of advancing modernization in the state governance system and governance capabilities.
He called for implementing the reform on the institutions and mechanisms concerning foreign affairs under the decision of the central Party leadership and enhancing the party-building in institutions abroad so as to form a management mechanism catering to the requirements of the new era.