courage : 普通用词。指面对危险或困难时无所畏惧的精神和敢于奋斗的进取心。
- They showed great courage when they found out about their baby's disability.
- People should have the courage to stand up for their beliefs.
- It took me months to summon/pluck up the courage to ask for a promotion.
bravery : 指在危险中表现出的无所畏惧精神或在逆境中仍能坚持下去的毅力。
- They were awarded medals for their bravery.
- acts of exceptional bravery
backbone : 指性格倔强，意志坚定，有骨气，有顽强的决心去做某事。
- Will he have the backbone to tell them what he thinks?
- He doesn't have the backbone to face the truth.
- You might be taking drastic measures and you've got to have the backbone to do that.
nerve : 侧重指面临危险或在冒险的情况下具有冷静、清醒的头脑和坚定无畏的勇气。
- It takes a lot of nerve to be a bomb disposal expert.
- I wanted to ask her out, but I lost my nerve and couldn't go through with it.
- I didn't have the nerve to tell him what I really thought of his suggestion.