cry : 普通用词。指因痛苦、悲哀或伤感等出声地哭。
- I could hear someone crying in the next room.
- "There, there, don't cry," she said.
- We all laughed until we cried.
- She cried bitter tears when she got the letter.
- He cried for joy when he heard that his son had been found alive and well.
weep : 书面用词，指小哭或无声地哭，侧重流泪。
- People in the street wept with joy when peace was announced.
- He wept tears of rage/joy when he heard the news.
- She wept buckets (= cried a lot) when Paul left.
sob : 指抽泣、呜咽。
- I found her sobbing in the bedroom because she'd broken her favourite doll.
- You're not going to help matters by lying there sobbing!