区别辨析explicit、definite、specific与express

explicit、definite、specific与express这些形容词均含“明确的”之意。

explicit : 指清楚明白,毫不含糊其辞,因而无任何理解困难。

  • I gave her very explicit directions how to get here.
    我明确地告诉她来这儿怎么走。
  • She was very explicit about (= said very clearly and exactly) what she thought was wrong with the plans.
    她明确地指出了计划中她认为有误的地方。
  • I wasn't aware that I would be paying - you certainly didn't make it explicit (= state it clearly).
    我不知道我得付款——毫无疑问是你没说清楚。

definite : 指对所提到的事的范围及其细节毫无疑问,含有明确和确定界限的意味。

  • The date for the meeting is now definite: 5 March .
    开会的日期现在已经确定了:3月5日。
  • She has very definite opinions.
    她的意见非常明确。
  • We need a definite answer by tomorrow.
    我们需要在明天之前得到明确的答复。
  • "Are you sure I'm invited too?" "Yes, Dan was very definite about it on the phone."
    “你能肯定我也受到了邀请吗?”“当然,这一点丹在电话中说得很明确。”
  • There's been a definite improvement in your English since you came here.
    从你到这儿以后你的英语确实有了进步。

specific : 强调内容明确,毫不抽象、笼统。

  • No specific allegations have yet been made about the prison officers' behaviour.
    对于典狱官的行为,尚未作出明确的指控。
  • Can you be more specific about where your back hurts?
    你能不能更具体一点说你的背哪里疼?

express : 语气较强,较正式,指不但清楚明确,而且含有直截了当和有力等的意思。

  • It is my express wish that after my death, my books be given to my old college library.
    我明确表示,死后要把我的藏书捐给母校的图书馆。
  • The lawyer argued that the accused had gone to the victim's house with the express purpose of killing her.
    律师辩道,被告到被害人家中去时,怀有很明确的杀人动机。