区别辨析haste、speed、hurry与dispatch

趣学英语,微信关注【田间小站】公众号

haste、speed、hurry与dispatch这些名词均含“迅速、急速”之意。

haste : 中性词,用作褒义指动作迅速,事情做得又快又好;作贬义用时,指做事急躁,行为鲁莽,得不到预期的结果。

  • Unfortunately the report was prepared in haste and contained several inaccuracies.
    遗憾的是,这份报告准备得有些仓促,里面有几处不准确的地方。
  • In her haste to get up from the table, she knocked over a cup.
    她匆忙从桌边站起来,结果碰翻了一只茶杯。
  • His father had just died and he didn't want to marry with indecent haste.
    父亲刚刚去世,他不想太过匆忙地结婚——那样做有悖情理。

speed : 多用于褒义,指行动敏捷快速,效果好。

  • I get a real thrill from speed.
    飞速驾车会让我兴奋不已。
  • He put on a sudden burst of speed.
    他突然加速了。
  • Both cars were travelling at speed (= very fast) when the accident happened.
    事故发生时两辆车的速度都很快。

hurry : 指急速从事某项活动或匆忙对付一件事情,含明显慌乱的意味。

  • We left in such a hurry that we forgot our tickets.
    我们走得过于仓促,连票都忘了拿。
  • "Can you wait a few minutes?" "Yes, I'm not in any hurry/I'm in no hurry (= I can wait)."
    “你能等几分钟吗?”“可以,我不急。”
  • Are you in a hurry (= wanting) to leave?
    你急着走吗?
  • What's (all) the hurry (for)/Why (all) the hurry? (= Why are you acting or moving so quickly?)
    你急什么?
  • "I'll let you have this back next week." "That's all right, there's no (great) hurry/there isn't any (great) hurry (= no need to do it quickly)."
    “我下星期就把这个还你。”“没关系,不用那么急。”

dispatch : 指迅速、敏捷地结事某事,强调敏捷和及时。

  • He feels we should act with despatch.
    他觉得我们应该迅速行动。