Crash a Party
To attend a party without being invited
- Come on, let's go crash the neighbors' party—I'm sure they won't mind us showing up.
Hit the Books
- I can't go out tonight. I need to hit the books.
- President Bush has been in touch with leaders in Europe over options for dealing with the Russian incursion.
On a Roll
Having a consistent run of success
- Pippa won five games in a row and it was obvious she was on a roll.
Have a Hard/Tough Row to Hoe
Be face with a task that is difficult because of unfavorable conditions
- Teachers have a tough row to hoe in today's schools.
Play with Fire
Do something very risky
- Warmongers who like to play with fire will be certain to pay an expensive price.
Ring a Bell
- The name rang a bell but I couldn't remember where I had heard it before.
Spin a Story/Tale/Yarn
Tell a story
- He spun some tale about needing to take time off work because his mother was ill.
Trip the Light Fantastic
Dance well; do ballroom dancing
- Of course, the best part of a wedding is when everyone trips the light fantastic into the wee hours of the morning.