“怂”字这样对老外说!

趣学英语,微信关注【田间小站】公众号

不知道从什么时候起,“怂”这个字几乎成了鄙视人的口头禅。通常用“怂”来形容那些软弱无能的人。可是不知道哪个朋友竟然把它拆解为“从心”(follow your heart),这样错误的翻译,真让人哭笑不得。下面,英语君带着大家看看老外是如何用英语表达“怂”的吧。

“怂”字这样对老外说!
(1)coward 懦夫

I was, to my shame, a coward.
我很惭愧,我是个懦夫。

He's a coward and a bully who confuses physical strength with manhood.
他是一个懦夫,一个分不清蛮力和大丈夫气概的恃强凌弱者。

But, at the same time, I admit that I was born a coward.
但是同时我不得不承认我是一个天生的懦夫。

I would be a coward if I left now.
如果我现在离开,就成了一个懦夫。

“怂”字这样对老外说!
(2)wimp 软骨头

But he looks like such a wimp: I'm afraid he doesn't have the guts to handle a realcrisis when it comes up.
可是,他看起来像个软骨头。 我担心,在真正发生危机的时候,他可能不会有足够的勇气来处理问题。

I was a wimp.
我是个窝囊废。

What a wimp that boy is!
那真是个没有骨气的男孩。

(3)weakling 没用的人

Think that weakling is a worthy opponent?
你认为那个懦夫配做我的对手吗?

Next time I'll leave you in the trash, weakling!
下次我不帮你了,没用的家伙!

You are a miserable weakling.
你是一个可怜的弱者。

“怂”字这样对老外说!
(4)wuss 胆小鬼

Are you being a wuss?
你想当胆小鬼?

I'll tell you what kind-a coward, a wuss.
我告诉你们,是懦夫,是胆小鬼!

(5)craven 懦夫

No man wants to be thought a craven person.
没有人希望被人认为是个懦夫。

A hero risks his life to help others; a craven runs from the scene.
英雄冒着生命危险去帮助别人;而懦夫却临阵脱逃。

(来源:沪江英语  作者:Erica东东  编辑:Julie)