图说英语词汇 | 9个与Sport(运动)相关的英语习语

图说英语词汇 | 9个与Sport(运动)相关的英语习语

(The) Ball’s in Your Court
It’s your turn to make an offer or decision
轮到你作出反应(或采取行动),现在看你的了

  • It's up to you what to do - the ball is in your court now.
    要做什么取决于你——现在就看你的了。

(To Not Have) A Horse in This Race
To have no preference in the outcome of a competition
比比赛结果没有偏好

  • I’m fine with either Olivia or Jason as president. I don’t have a horse in this race.
    无论奥利维亚还是杰森担任总统我都没有意见。 我对这次竞选没有偏好。

Curveball
Say or do something unexpected to someone
(棒球运动中投向击球手的)旋球,弧线球,引申指突如其来的问题、突发的事情

  • Every so often life will throw you a curveball.
    生活常常会冷不丁地给你出个难题。

Ballpark Figure
A rough estimate
大概的数字,估计的数字

  • According to my ballpark figure the monthly mortgage payment is about$ 1400.Since both of us work I think we can handle it okay.
    根据我大略的估计每月得支付1400美元左右来偿还按揭,既然我俩都工作,我想我们能对付得过。

Start/Set/Get the Ball Rolling
Do something to begin a process
着手干,开始做;带头做

  • I decided to set the ball rolling and got up to dance.
    我决定带个头,就站了起来跳舞。

Heavy Hitter
A powerful, influential person
(尤指商业或政界的)大亨,要员,了不起的大人物

  • Have you seen his résumé? He's a real heavy hitter.
    你见过他的简历了吗?他可真是个了不起的人物啊。

Hit It Out of the (ball)Park
Succeed brilliantly
做得非常好,产生或获得特殊成就

  • I'm pretty sure I hit that test out of the ballpark.
    我敢肯定那次测试我做的非常好。

Jump Through Hoops
Complete a series of tasks in order to satisfy someone
克服种种障碍,越过重重关卡

  • We had to jump through hoops to get my Dad admitted to hospital.
    我们必须克服种种障碍才让医院收下我父亲。

Throw in the Towel
To give up, admit defeat
认输,因觉成功无望而放弃

  • Three of the original five candidates for the Democratic presidential nomination have now thrown in the towel.
    原来竞争民主党总统候选人提名资格的5人中有3位已经放弃了。