break : 非正式用词，指突然的或短时间的中止，如工作或活动期间接短暂休息。
- Finally there was a break in the rain and we went out.
- a coffee break
- We were talking about it at break.
- Take a couple of weeks off - you need a break.
- How long is the Christmas break this year?
- We decided to have a short/spring/winter/weekend break in Paris.
rest : 指统称的休息。
- After they had carried the piano up the stairs, they stopped for a rest.
- The doctor prescribed some pills and told her to get/have a week's rest.
pause : 指短暂的中断或停止，含再进行下去的意味。
- There was a long pause before she answered.
- David waited for a pause in the conversation so he could ask his question.
- After a brief pause, they continued climbing.
- The rain fell without pause .
interval : 指一出戏在幕与幕之间，音乐会上下串场之间或演出中预先安排的休息；也可泛指事件之间的一段时间。
- There will be two 20-minute intervals during the opera.
- He scored his first goal of the match three minutes after the interval.
recess : 正式用词，指业务活动或工作中短暂的或长时间的休息。
- The conference broke for a recess.
- Parliament returns to work today after its summer recess.
- The chairman of the meeting announced a ten-minute recess.
cease : 正式用词，侧重逐渐结束某活动或状态，含永远结束的意味。
- They agreed on a cease fire.
stop : 普通用词，指迅速或突然中止某行为、活动或状态。
- Please remain in your seat until the plane comes to a complete stop.
- We'd have been here sooner, but we made several stops along the way.
- At the beginning of the project there were a lot of stops and starts.