区别辨析consequence、result、effect与outcome

这些名词均含“结果”之意。

consequence : 多指随某一事件引起的,必然或自然的不良结果,不强调直接的因果关系,而侧重事件发展的逻辑关系。

  • Not making a will can have serious consequences for your children and other family members.
    不立遗嘱可能会给你的子女或者家庭其他成员带来严重后果。
  • Scientists think it is unlikely that any species will actually become extinct as a consequence of the oil spill.
    科学家们认为实际上不太可能会有什么物种因为石油泄漏而灭绝。
  • I told the hairdresser to do what she wanted to my hair, and look at the consequences!
    我告诉理发师就按她的想法来做我的头发好了,可瞧瞧结果!
  • Well, if you insist on eating so much, you'll have to suffer/take (= accept and deal with) the consequences!
    好吧,要是你坚持吃这么多,你会自食其果的!

result : 普通用词,含义广泛,侧重因某种原因所产生的最终结果,而不是眼前的结果。

  • The road has been widened, but the result is just more traffic.
    道路被拓宽,但结果车流量却更大了。
  • His broken leg is the direct result of his own carelessness.
    他自己的粗心大意直接导致他摔断了腿。
  • I tried to repaint the kitchen walls with disastrous results.
    我试图重新粉刷一下厨房的墙,结果却弄得一塌糊涂。
  • To ensure good/the best results, use Italian tomatoes and fresh basil.
    为了保证做好后口味好/最佳,要用意大利西红柿和新鲜的罗勒。

effect : 指因某种原因直接产生的结果,着重持续稳定与其影响。

  • The radiation leak has had a disastrous effect on/upon the environment.
    核辐射泄漏给环境带来了灾难性的影响。
  • I tried taking tablets for the headache but they didn't have any effect.
    我试着吃了几片药,但头疼一点都没有减轻。
  • I think I'm suffering from the effects of too little sleep.
    我觉得我睡眠太少,健康受到了影响。
  • She has a lot of confidence, which she uses to good effect (= to her advantage) in interviews.
    她很自信,在面试时她充分利用这一点,占尽了优势。

outcome : 普通用词,多指事物经过一系列发展变化所导致的最终结局,而不是某种原因的直接结果。常可与result通用。

  • It's too early to predict the outcome of the meeting.
    现在预言会议的结果还为时过早。
  • We are waiting to hear the final outcome of the negotiations.
    我们在等待谈判的最终结果。
  • These costs are payable whatever the outcome of the case.
    无论讼案结果如何,这些费用都应照付。
  • We are confident of a successful outcome.
    我们相信会有圆满的结果。
  • Four possible outcomes have been identified.
    现已确定有四种可能的结果。