crime : 指严重的违法行为或罪行。
- an increase in violent crime
- the fight against crime
- Stores spend more and more on crime prevention every year.
- petty/serious crime
轻微的 / 严重的犯罪
- the connection between drugs and organized crime
sin : 主要指违反道德原则或违反宗教戒律的过失或罪过行为。
- to commit/confess a sin
- He thinks a lot about sin.
- I think it's a sin (= is morally wrong) to waste food, when so many people in the world are hungry.
- For my sins (= as if it were a punishment), I'm organizing the office party this year.
guilt : 多用于指违反道德或社会标准的不法行为，含应予惩办之意。这种惩办是以证据为根据的。
- Both suspects admitted their guilt to the police.
- The prosecution's task in a case is to establish a person's guilt beyond any reasonable doubt.
offence : 使用广，可泛指对任何规则、道德标准、法律、纪律等的违反与触犯，其罪行可重可轻。
- a serious/minor offence
- a criminal/drink-driving offence
- Driving without a licence is an offence.
- He committed several serious offences.
- It's the third time that he's been convicted of a drug offence.
violation : 指违背誓言、条约、规则以及良心等，也指侵犯权利。
- He claimed that the way he'd been treated was a gross violation of his civil/constitutional/human rights.
- The takeover of the embassy constitutes a flagrant/blatant violation of international law.
- It was clear that they had not acted in violation of the rules.