despite : 书面用词，指不受某事或某种原因的阻碍，语气轻于in spite of。
- I still enjoyed the week despite the weather.
- Despite repeated assurances that the product is safe, many people have stopped buying it.
- He managed to eat a big lunch despite having eaten an enormous breakfast.
in spite of : 在这些词中语气最强，可与despite换用，口语或书面语中均可使用。
- In spite of his injury, Ricardo will play in Saturday's match.
- In spite of great peril, I have survived.
- He was there on the stroke in spite of the rain.
- They are both very cheerful in spite of their colds.
notwithstanding : 语气最弱，仅表示一种障碍的存在。
- Notwithstanding some members' objections, I think we must go ahead with the plan.
- Injuries notwithstanding, the team won the semifinal.
- Notwithstanding some major financial problems, the school has had a successful year.
- The bad weather notwithstanding, the event was a great success.