decide : 侧重指经过思考、比较、讨论或询问之后做出的决定。
- They have to decide by next Friday.
- It doesn't matter to me which one we have - you decide.
- In the end, we decided to go to the theatre.
- She decided (that) she would travel to India.
- I can't decide what to do.
- He can't decide whether to buy it.
- The committee decided in favour of (= made a formal judgment to choose) the cheapest option.
determine : 指经过深思熟虑，决心去做某事并坚持施行。
- The number of staff we can take on will be determined by how much money we're allowed to spend.
- Your health is determined in part by what you eat.
- Eye colour is genetically determined.
- Officials will determine whether or not the game will be played.
- People should be allowed to determine their own future.
resolve : 语气较强，强调以坚定不移的信念去做或不做某事，暗含有远大抱负和坚强决心。
- She resolved that she would never speak to him again.
- After hours of argument, they resolved against taking legal action.
- The company resolved to take no further action against the thieves.
settle : 指排除犹豫、怀疑和争论之后作出明确的最终结论。
- Good, that's all settled - you send out the invitations for the party, and I'll organize the food.
- They haven't yet settled when the wedding is going to be.
- "The tickets are €40 each." "Well, that settles that - I can't afford that much."
- I'd like to get this matter settled once and for all (= reach a final decision on it).