区别辨析decide、determine、resolve与settle

趣学英语,微信关注【田间小站】公众号

这些动词都含“决定”之意。

decide : 侧重指经过思考、比较、讨论或询问之后做出的决定。

  • They have to decide by next Friday.
    他们必须在下周五前作出决定。
  • It doesn't matter to me which one we have - you decide.
    我不在乎给我们哪个——你来决定吧。
  • In the end, we decided to go to the theatre.
    最后我们决定去剧院。
  • She decided (that) she would travel to India.
    她决定去印度。
  • I can't decide what to do.
    我不知道该怎么办。
  • He can't decide whether to buy it.
    他决定不了要不要把它买下来。
  • The committee decided in favour of (= made a formal judgment to choose) the cheapest option.
    委员会决定选用最经济的方案。

determine : 指经过深思熟虑,决心去做某事并坚持施行。

  • The number of staff we can take on will be determined by how much money we're allowed to spend.
    我们雇用的人数将取决于可支配资金的多少。
  • Your health is determined in part by what you eat.
    在某种程度上你的健康状况取决于你的饮食。
  • Eye colour is genetically determined.
    眼睛的颜色是由遗传基因决定的。
  • Officials will determine whether or not the game will be played.
    官员将决定这场比赛能否进行。
  • People should be allowed to determine their own future.
    应该允许人们决定自己的未来。

resolve : 语气较强,强调以坚定不移的信念去做或不做某事,暗含有远大抱负和坚强决心。

  • She resolved that she would never speak to him again.
    她决心再也不理他。
  • After hours of argument, they resolved against taking legal action.
    经过几个小时的争论,他们决定不提起诉讼。
  • The company resolved to take no further action against the thieves.
    公司决定不再继续追究这些窃贼。

settle : 指排除犹豫、怀疑和争论之后作出明确的最终结论。

  • Good, that's all settled - you send out the invitations for the party, and I'll organize the food.
    好,那就这么定了——你发聚会的请帖,我来准备吃的。
  • They haven't yet settled when the wedding is going to be.
    他们还没有确定婚礼在什么时候举行。
  • "The tickets are €40 each." "Well, that settles that - I can't afford that much."
    “入场券每张40欧元。”“好吧,那就算了吧,我付不起那么多钱。”
  • I'd like to get this matter settled once and for all (= reach a final decision on it).
    我想把这件事了结了。