desire : 语气较正式庄重，着重渴望的力量与热切，常含有强烈的意图和目的。
- I desire only to be left in peace.
- The hotel had everything you could possibly desire.
- What does her Ladyship desire me to do/desire of me?
- The president desires to meet the new prime minister.
wish : 语气较弱，多指难于实现或不可能实现的愿望。
- I wish (that) I was/were a bit taller.
- I wish (that) you were coming with me, Peter.
- I wish (that) I hadn't eaten so much.
- I bet she wishes (that) she'd never got involved in the whole mess.
hope : 指对愿望实现有一定信心的希望。
- I'm hoping for an interview next week.
- She's hoping (that) she won't be away too long.
- I hope (that) she'll win.
- We have to hope and pray (that) the operation will go well.
- They hope to visit us next year.
- It's good news, I hope.
- "Will you be at the meeting tomorrow?" "I hope not/so".
expect : 通常指有很大程度的把握，但仍含有预料之意，或预计某事或某行动的发生。
- We are expecting a lot of applicants for the job.
- I expect (that) you'll find it somewhere in your bedroom.
- I expect (that) he'd have left anyway.
- He didn't expect to see me.
- The financial performance of the business is fully expected (= almost certain) to improve.
- We were half expecting you not to come back.
want : 一般指所想要的东西是切望得到的东西，能弥补实际需要。
- I want some chocolate.
- She wants a meeting with you.
- He's everything you'd ever want in a man - bright, funny and attractive.
- What do you want to eat?
- Do you want me to take you to the airport?
- This package - do you want it sent today?
- Do you want this pie hot?
- I don't want you coming in at two a.m., waking me up.
- You wait - by next year she'll be wanting a bigger house!
long : 语气强，指极殷切地盼望着，这种盼望侧重于很难或不可能得到的东西。有时也指一般愿望，但含一定感情色彩。
- She longed to see him again.
- I'm longing for news of him.