destiny : 普通用词，侧重预先注定的命运，对未来命运的美好憧憬。
- The destiny of our nation depends on this vote!
- She felt that her destiny had been shaped by her gender.
- People want to control/determine/take charge of their own destinies.
fate : 较庄严用词，多指不幸的命运，暗示不可避免，令人畏惧和人的意志无法改变，宿命论色彩较浓。
- We want to decide our own fate.
- His fate is now in the hands of the jury.
- The disciples were terrified that they would suffer/meet the same fate as Jesus.
lot : 多指偶然的运气或终身遭受的不幸命运。
- They should do something to improve the lot of the lowest-paid workers.
- Do you think he's happy with his lot?
doom : 指最终的，常常是灾难性或毁灭性的命运，隐含不可避免的意味。
- A sense of doom hung over the entire country.
- The newspapers are always full of doom and gloom (= bad news and unhappiness) these days.
luck : 普通日常用词，指好的或坏的运气，尤多指好运气，有时也指成功或愉快的结局。
- It was just luck that I asked for a job at the right time.
- Then I met this gorgeous woman and I couldn't believe my luck.
- She wears a charm that she thinks brings her good luck.
- He seems to have had a lot of bad luck in his life.
- So your interview's tomorrow? Good luck!
- The best of luck in/with your exams!
fortune : 普通用词，指由机会或运气来决定的一种命运，如暗示一种比fate好的运气或一种愉快的未来。
- He had the (good) fortune to train with some of the world's top athletes.
- The family's fortunes changed overnight.