destroy : 指通过杀戮或终止某人某物的机能，使之无用或毁灭。
- Most of the old part of the city was destroyed by bombs during the war.
- The accident seemed to have completely/totally destroyed his confidence.
exterminate : 指大量地、成批地杀害、消灭。
- Once cockroaches get into a building, it's very difficult to exterminate them.
- Millions of Jewish people were exterminated in concentration camps in the Second World War.
extinguish : 原义指灭火，转义后暗示生命、希望等像火一样地消灭、熄灭。
- It took the firefighters several hours to extinguish the flames.
- to extinguish a cigarette
- Nothing could extinguish his love for her.