disguise : 指改变装束或外表以掩饰自己的真面目或冒充他人。有时仅指掩饰感情、动机或意图。
- He disguised himself by wearing a false beard.
- Minor skin imperfections can usually be disguised with a spot of make-up.
- We tried to disguise the fact that it was just a school hall by putting up coloured lights and balloons.
- I couldn't disguise my disappointment.
mask : 本义为“面罩”，引申“掩饰”解时，指掩饰某物的真实性质或存在的伪装。
- The newspaper revealed the sordid truth behind his mask of respectability.
cloak : 指采取伪装来掩盖或隐藏真实面目或本性或企图。
- He has always kept his love affairs cloaked in secrecy (= kept them secret).
- The river is often cloaked in mist in the early morning.