区别辨析friend、mate、acquaintance与pal

friend、mate、acquaintance与pal这些名词都有“朋友”之意。

friend : 一般用词,指某人喜爱并乐意与之相交往的人。

  • She's my best/oldest/closest friend - we've known each other since we were five.
    她是我最要好/交情最久/最亲密的朋友——我们5岁的时候就认识了。
  • He's a family friend/friend of the family.
    他是全家人的朋友。
  • This restaurant was recommended to me by a friend of mine.
    这家餐馆是我的一个朋友给我推荐的。
  • We've been friends for years.
    我们已是多年的朋友了。
  • José and Pilar are (good) friends of ours.
    何塞和皮拉尔是我们的(好)朋友。
  • We're (good) friends with José and Pilar.
    我们和何塞、皮拉尔是(好)朋友。
  • She said that she and Peter were just (good) friends (= they were not having a sexual relationship).
    她说自己和彼得只是(好)朋友而已。
  • I've made a lot of friends in this job.
    我从事这项工作结交了很多朋友。
  • He finds it difficult to make friends.
    他发现交朋友很难。

mate : 最普通用词,既可指好友、同事,又可指合伙人,还可指配偶的一方。

  • We've been mates since our school days.
    我们从学生时代起就是朋友。
  • She's my best mate.
    她是我最好的朋友。
  • Have you got the time, mate?
    老兄,你知道几点了吗?

acquaintance : 指彼此相识,但交往不甚密切,相互间没有深厚情感的人。

  • a business acquaintance
    在生意上打过交道的人

pal : 口语用词,指十分要好的朋友。

  • You're my best pal.
    你是我最好的朋友。
  • It's my old pal Pete!
    那是我的老友皮特!