区别辨析further、advance、promote、contribute与push

微信关注:田间小站

further、advance、promote、contribute与push这些动词都含“促进、推进”之意。

further : 中性词,既可指对好事的促进、推进,又可指对坏事的助长。

  • Before we go any further with the project, I think we should make sure that there's enough money to fund it.
    在我们推进这个计划之前,我觉得我们应该核实一下是否有足够的资金来支持。
  • If you wish to take the matter further, you can file charges against him.
    如果你想采取进一步行动的话,可以对他提出指控。

advance : 通常指为加速某一进程或达到某个预期目的而给予有效的促进,强调作出有意识、决定性的努力。

  • The fire advanced steadily through the forest.
    大火在森林中不断蔓延。
  • The troops advanced on the city (= approached it, ready to attack).
    军队向该城推进。
  • We have advanced greatly in our knowledge of the universe.
    在认识宇宙方面,我们已经取得长足的进步。
  • Her study has considerably advanced (= helped) the cause of equal rights.
    她的研究极大地促进了权利平等运动的事业。
  • He's just trying to advance (= improve) his own career.
    他只是在努力拓展自己的事业。

promote : 指在某一进程的任何时期或阶段提供积极的帮助与支持。

  • Advertising companies are always having to think up new ways to promote products.
    广告公司总是得想出新办法来促销。
  • The Institute is intended to promote an understanding of the politics and culture of the Arab world.
    该协会旨在促进人们对阿拉伯世界政治文化的了解。
  • Greenpeace works to promote awareness of the dangers that threaten our planet today.
    绿色和平组织致力于促使人们了解当前威胁地球的危机。
  • It has long been known that regular exercise promotes all-round good health.
    经常锻炼能促进全面健康,这一点已久为人知。

contribute : 指能促进事物向前发展的因素,但这种因素并非决定性的。

  • Smoking contributed to his early death.
    吸烟导致他早逝。

push : 口语用词,通常指利用自己的活动或影响推进某事。

  • Can you help me move this table? You push and I'll pull.
    你能帮我挪一下这张桌子吗?你推我拉。
  • The window sticks - you have to push hard to open it.
    这扇窗户卡住了,开的时候得使劲推。
  • He helped me push my car off the road.
    他帮我把车推离了公路。
  • He pushed his plate away from him, refusing to eat any more.
    他把盘子从面前推开,不想再吃了。
  • She pushed her hair out of her eyes.
    她把头发从眼睛上撩开。
  • I tried to push the door open but it was stuck.
    我想把门推开,但门卡住了。
  • It isn't clear whether he fell off the balcony or was pushed.
    他是跌下阳台的,还是被推下去的,这一点还不清楚。
  • To turn the television on, you just push (= press) this button.
    要打开电视机,你只要按一下这个按钮就行了。
  • He pushed the money into my hand (= forcefully gave me the money), saying, "Please take it."
    他把钱硬塞在我手里,说道:“请收下。”
  • We pushed the boat off from (= moved the boat forward by using pressure against) the river bank.
    我们把船撑离河岸。