hire : 多指短期租用。在英国一般指租用车、船。
- How much would it cost to hire a car for the weekend?
- You could always hire a dress for the ball if you can't afford to buy one.
lease : 指按照租约租出或租用房屋、土地或其它不动产。
- The building's 60 units are currently leased to students of the university.
- It was agreed they would lease the apartment to him/lease him the apartment.
rent : 在英国指较长时间租出或租入房屋、商店或土地；而在美国指长时间或短时期租用各种资产以及日用东西。
- The old lady rented me her spare bedroom for £200 a week.
- My Dad has a villa that he rents (out) to tourists.
- I rented a car from a garage so that I could get about.
let : 尤指出租房屋或地产等。
- They are letting their house (out) for the summer.
- He's let his flat to a young couple.
- She has a room to let in her house.
charter : 指承租大型运输工具，如飞机、轮船、大客车以及火车等。
- They've chartered a plane to take delegates to the conference.
- He chartered a jet to fly her home from California to Switzerland.