区别辨析intend与mean

intend与mean这两个动词均有“想要、打算”之意。

intend : 较正式用词,但常用,指对未来的行动做出打算,并力争实现。

  • We intend to go to Australia next year.
    我们打算明年去澳大利亚。
  • Somehow I offended him, which wasn't what I'd intended.
    我不知怎么得罪了他,但这不是我的初衷。
  • I don't think she intended me to hear the remark.
    我觉得她并不想让我听见那话。
  • The course is intended for intermediate-level students.
    这门课是为中等程度的学生开设的。
  • It was intended as a compliment, honestly!
    真的,这本来是一句恭维话!

mean : 口语多用,指怀有作某事的想法或希望得到某物,特别用于效果不好而动机良好的场合。

  • I'm sorry if I offended you - I didn't mean any harm.
    如果冒犯了你我很抱歉——我并无恶意。
  • The books with large print are meant for partially sighted readers.
    这些大字号的书是为视力有障碍的读者准备的。
  • I've been meaning to call you all week.
    我整个星期都想着要给你打电话。
  • Do you think she meant to say 9 a.m. instead of 9 p.m.?
    你认为她是想说上午9点而不是晚上9点吗?
  • They didn't mean for her to read the letter.
    他们并不想让她读那封信。