区别辨析maintain、conserve、preserve、save与store

maintain、conserve、preserve、save与store这些动词均有“保存、储藏”之意。

maintain : 指保持原样,不增不减。

  • Despite living in different countries, the two families have maintained close links.
    尽管住在不同的国家,两个家庭仍保持着紧密联系。
  • The film has maintained its position as the critics' favourite for another year.
    这部电影再度被评论家评为年度最佳影片。

conserve : 较正式用词,指小心地使用难以补充的资源或贵重物,免遭浪费或毁坏,以备不时之需。

  • To conserve electricity, we are cutting down on our heating.
    为了省电,我们在减少中央供热。
  • The nationalists are very eager to conserve their customs and language.
    民族主义者非常热衷于保留他们的习俗和语言。

preserve : 侧重将物品完好无损地保存下来。

  • We want to preserve the character of the town while improving the facilities.
    我们想在改善市镇设施的同时保持其特色。
  • The agreement preserved our right to limit trade in endangered species.
    这项协议保留了我们限制濒危物种贸易的权利。

save : 普通用词,指尽量少用,以争取数量上有所增加。

  • Tom's been saving his pocket money every week.
    汤姆每周都把自己的零花钱攒起来。
  • We're saving (up) for a new car.
    我们正在攒钱准备买一辆新车。

store : 普通用词,指将物品存放,以备将来使用。

  • The data is stored on a hard disk and backed up on a CD.
    数据储存在一个硬盘上,并用光盘做了备份。
  • I stored my possessions in my mother's house while I was living in Spain.
    我在西班牙居住期间,把我的东西放在我母亲那儿了。