- Crack! The stick broke in two.
- Only the venliator in the cellar window kept up acealess rattle.
- Round the corner of Croscent Bay, between thepile-up masses of broken rock, a flock of sheep came pattering.
- The cock in the yard crowed its first round.
- He felt as if he must shout and sing, he seemed to hear about him the rustle of unceasing and inmumberable wings.
- They splashed through the mire to the village.
- The logs were burning briskly in the fire.
- "Impartinent!" snorted Imalds.
- Then a dog began to howl somewhere in a farm house far down the road--a long, agonized wailing, as if from fear.