Go Cold Turkey
Stop using an additive substance suddenly, without tapering off
- Six years ago she went cold turkey on (= stopped completely) a three-pack-a-day smoking habit.
- It's been a long day at work, I'm looking for a bit of amber nectar when I finish!
Bend an Elbow
Drink alcoholic beverages at a tavern
- Come bend your elbow at the bar with us tonight!
Hair of the Dog
A small amount of the alcoholic beverage that caused your hangover
- Wow, I feel terrible this morning. The only cure is the hair of the dog, I guess!
Hold One’s Liquor
Be able to drink a large amount without being affected
- Old Jed can sure hold his liquor—and a lot of it, too.
In His Cups
- He talked too freely when, as was too often the case, he was in his cups.
One for the Road
A final drink before leaving
- Before I went home, he persuaded me to have one for the road.
Paint the Town Red
Go out drinking and partying
- Every time he comes to New York, he wants to paint the town red.
Wet your Whistle
- If you're looking for Barney, he's down at the pub wetting his whistle.