区别辨析couple与pair

这两个名词均有“一对、一双”之意。

couple : 多指在一起或彼此有关系的两个人或两个同样的事物。

  • The doctor said my leg should be better in a couple of days.
    医生说我的腿过两天就会好转。
  • A couple of people objected to the proposal, but the vast majority approved of it.
    有几个人反对该提议,但绝大多数人赞同。
  • We'll have to wait another couple of hours for the paint to dry.
    我们还得再等几个小时油漆才干。
  • She'll be retiring in a couple more years.
    她再过几年就退休了。
  • The weather's been terrible for the last couple of days.
    这几天天气糟透了。
  • Many economists expect unemployment to fall over the next couple of months.
    许多经济学家预测在未来的几个月失业率将会下降。
  • I'm sorry I didn't call you, but I've been very busy over the past couple of weeks.
    很抱歉我没打电话给你,这几个星期我实在是太忙了。

pair : 含义广泛,可指人或物。用于物时,指两个互属的事物,缺此或失彼都会失去使用价值,或指由相对称的两部分构成的一件东西。

  • a pair of shoes/gloves
    一双鞋/一副手套
  • a pair of scissors/glasses
    一把剪刀/一副眼镜
  • I can't find a matching pair of socks.
    我找不到两只成对的袜子。
  • He packed two pairs of trousers and four shirts.
    他把两条裤子和四件衬衣放进包里。
  • I'd like you to do this exercise in pairs (= in groups of two).
    我希望你们两人一组来做这个练习。
  • They seem a very happy pair.
    他们像是很幸福的一对。
  • What have the pair of you been up to?
    你们俩在搞什么名堂?