put it down to experience
- Okay, so you made a mistake - you just have to put it down to experience and carry on with your life.
- There's nothing we can do about it now, we'll just have to put it down to experience.
know where you stand
- I know where I stand on this issue - I'm against the war.
- When we've paid all our debts we'll know where we stand.
give sb food for thought
- There is much food for thought in this essay.
- Developments in your career may give you food for thought.
learn a/your lesson
- I got horribly drunk once at college and that was enough - I learned my lesson.
teach sb a lesson
- Having my car stolen really taught me a lesson - I'll never leave it unlocked again.
- She decided to teach the boy a lesson.
get the message
- I never answer his calls, so you'd think he'd get the message.
set/put the record straight
- She's decided to write her memoirs to set the record straight once and for all.