hear (sth) through/on the grapevine
- I heard through the grapevine that he was leaving - is it true?
a figment of sb's imagination
- Was it just a figment of my imagination or did I hear John's voice in the other room?
lose sight of sth
- I'm worried that we're losing sight of our original objectives.
- Some members of the peace-keeping force seem to have lost sight of the fact that they are there to help people.
what/it beats me
- It beats me how she got the job.
- What beats me is why she stays with him.
have second thoughts about
- You're not having second thoughts about getting married, are you?
the ins and outs of sth
- I know how to use computers, but I don't really understand the ins and outs of how they work.