与遇到问题(having problems)相关的英语习语①

be/come up against a brick wall
面临不可逾越的障碍;遇上解决不了的难题

  • I wondered if I was banging my head against a brick wall.
    我怀疑自己是不是在把鸡蛋往石头上碰,徒劳无益。
  • I wanted to sort out this problem with him, but it was like banging my head against a brick wall.
    我曾想跟他把这个问题给解决了,但结果徒劳无功。

put your foot in it (英式英语)
put your foot in your mouth(美式英语)
无意中说出让人尴尬(或生气)的话

  • I really put my foot in my mouth – I asked her if Jane was her mother, but she said Jane is her sister.
    我真的让自己无地自容:我问她简是不是她母亲,但是她说简是她姐姐。

in dire straits
身陷绝境

  • The American economy remains in dire straits, with one worker in six unemployed or underemployed.
    美国经济仍深陷困境,每六个劳工就有一个失业或未充分就业。

dig yourself into a hole
dig a hole for yourself
使自己陷入困境,把自己推入困境

  • The party has really dug itself into a hole with its economic policies.
    政府的经济政策的确使自己陷入了困境。

spread yourself too thin
同时做太多事情(以致没有足够时间或精力关注任何一个)

  • I realized I'd been spreading myself too thin so I resigned as secretary of the golf club.
    我意识到我做的事情太多,因此我辞去了高尔夫球俱乐部的秘书一职。