leave sb holding the baby
- He changed to another job and we were left holding the baby.
have sb over a barrel
- She knows I need the work so she's got me over a barrel in terms of what she pays me.
- He had me over a barrel because he knew my carefully-guarded secrets.
- Lack of willingness to compromise on both sides is the main/major stumbling block to reaching a settlement.
- Perhaps the major stumbling block to reunification is the military presence in South Korea.
clutch/grasp at straws
- She offered to take a pay cut to keep her job, but she was just clutching at straws.
draw a blank
- He asked me for my phone number and I drew a blank - I just couldn't remember it.
face the music
- Sooner or later, I'm going to have to face the music.
a fact of life
- Going bald is just a fact of life.
easier said than done
- "Why don't you just ask Simon to pay?" "That's easier said than done."