- We didn't have cupboards so we made do with boxes.
- You'll have to make do with this timber.
- Viewers will have to make do with tired re-runs and second-rate movies.
- Why make do with a copy if you can afford the genuine article?
give sth a whirl/shot
- I've never danced salsa before but I'll give it a whirl.
come/get to grips with sth
- The president has failed to come to grips with the two most important social issues of our time.
- I can't seem to get to grips with this problem.
(just) to be on the safe side
- I'm sure it won't rain, but I'll take an umbrella (just) to be on the safe side (= to be ready if it does rain).
get to the bottom of sth
- I'm not sure what is causing the problem, but I'm determined to get to the bottom of it.