take the law into your own hands
- One day, after years of violent abuse from her husband, she took the law into her own hands.
be a law unto yourself
- Charlie, of course, never fills in the record forms but then he's a law unto himself.
- Some of the landowners were a law unto themselves. There was nobody to check their excesses and they exploited the people.
lay down the law
- She can't just come into this office and start laying down the law.
bend the law/rules
- Can't you bend the rules a little? I was only a few minutes late.