区别辨析avail、benefit与profit

这些动词均含有“有益于,有益”之意。

avail :较文雅,常见于历史小说、演说或讲道中,较少用于日常话语,侧重功效或效力。

  • His efforts were to no avail
    他徒劳无功。
  • I apologized repeatedly, but to little avail.
    我一再道歉,但丝毫没有奏效。
  • I avail myself of this opportunity to renew to you the assurances of my highest consideration.
    顺致最崇高的敬意。
  • Of what avail is it?
    何济于事?
  • Now it's done, regrets are of no avail.; It's no use crying over spilt milk.
    事已如此,后悔也是枉然。

benefit :通常既可指个人情况(如身体、智力或精神状态等)的好转或改善,又可指对实现某个目标等带来的好处。

  • We should spend the money on something that will benefit everyone.
    我们应该把这笔钱花在大家都能得益的事上。
  • Both sides have benefited from the talks.
    双方都从谈判中获益。

profit :着重于物质方面的受益,常用于财富或知识等方面的得益。

  • Farmers are profiting from the new legislation.
    新法规使农民受益。
  • We tried to profit by our mistakes (= learn from them).
    我们努力从错误中吸取教训。
  • Many local people believe the development will profit them.
    当地的许多人认为,这项开发将对他们有利。