区别辨析cease、pause、stop、halt与quit

这些动词均含有“停止”之意。

cease : 指逐渐、徐徐中止某种状态的存在。书面用词。

  • Whether the protests will cease remains to be seen.
    抗议活动是否会停止还说不定。
  • The company has decided to cease all UK operations after this year.
    公司决定从明年开始停止一切在英国的业务活动。
  • Workplace nurseries will cease to be liable for tax.
    将停止对工作场所的托儿所征税。

pause : 指暂时的、瞬间的停顿,隐含有再进行之意。

  • There will be a brief pause in the proceedings while the piano is moved into place.
    在将钢琴搬过去放好之前,活动将暂停一会儿。
  • After a long, awkward pause, someone finally asked a question.
    在长得令人尴尬的停顿过后,有人问了个问题。
  • She spoke for three quarters of an hour without so much as a pause.
    她一连说了45分钟,连停都没停一下。
  • There followed a pregnant (= filled with meaning) pause in which neither of them knew what to say.
    接下来是意味深长的停顿,两人谁也不知道说什么好。

stop : 指动作、运行、进展等被停下来,含突然、断然的意味。

  • Once I start eating chocolate, I can't stop.
    我一开始吃巧克力,就停不了嘴了。
  • Stop shouting - you're giving me a headache!
    别再叫了——你搞得我头都疼了!
  • I couldn't stop laughing.
    我忍不住笑个没完。
  • Stop it!/Stop that!
    住手!

halt : 侧重突然地、决定性地终止、停止某一活动。

  • "Halt!" called the guard. "You can't go any further without a permit."
    “站住!”警卫喊道,“没有通行证不能入内。”
  • Production has halted at all of the company's factories because of the pay dispute.
    由于工资纠纷,这家公司所有工厂都停产了。
  • Security forces halted the demonstrators by blocking the road.
    警卫部队用封路的办法来制止示威者前进。

quit : 指最终彻底停止某事,有时暗示遭到失败或面临挫折。

  • Would you quit your job if you inherited lots of money?
    假如继承了一大笔钱,你会辞掉工作吗?
  • I'm going to quit smoking.
    我准备戒烟。
  • Quit wasting my time!
    别浪费我的时间!
  • Press Q to quit the program.
    退出该程序请按Q。