enclose : 指把某物四周围住或封闭起来，使之与外界隔绝。
- The park that encloses the monument has recently been enlarged.
encircle : 侧重在某事物周围围成圈状。
- The house is encircled by a high fence.
- Villaverde is one of the high-rise districts that encircle Madrid.
envelop : 着重指把某个物体完全包起来或整个封起来。
- The graveyard looked ghostly, enveloped in mist.
fence : 通常指用栅栏栏开或围起来。
- His property is fenced with barbed wire.
surround : 普通用词，既可指环绕、围绕，也可指军事上的包围。
- Snow-capped mountains surround the city.
- Gwen sat at her desk, surrounded by books and papers.
- Mystery still surrounds the exact circumstances of Stalin's death.
- She said that she wanted to die surrounded by the people she loves (= with them all present).
- Early this morning, armed police surrounded (= moved into a position so that they were everywhere around) a house which they thought contained an escaped prisoner.