(Like) herding cats
Difficult to coordinate (said of members of a group)
- The latest project that I’m managing at work involves so many different groups that it’s just like herding cats.
(There’s) more than one way to skin a cat
There are multiple ways to accomplish this task
- The China market is so huge, but there is more than one way to skin a cat.
A cat has nine lives
Cats seem to get away with dangerous things
- A cat has nine lives, I think my cat used up one of her nine lives when she survived being hit by that car.
A cat nap
A short sleep during the day
- I was up late last night so I had a cat nap at my desk today.
Bell the cat
Take on a difficult or impossible task
- It is difficult to get a man to bell the cat.
A fight between two women
- A cat fight has erupted over who will get top billing.
Cat got your tongue?
Don’t you have anything to say?
- What's the matter? Has the cat got your tongue?
Cat on a hot tin roof
Be extremely nervous
- Before the opening night of the play, the actress was so nervous that she was pacing around like a cat on a hot tin roof.
Cat and mouse
In a toying way; playful in unpleasant way
- The 32-year-old singer spent a large proportion of the week playing cat and mouse with the press.
A person being used by someone else, a tool
- The stupid fellow never realized that he was a mere cat's paw in the hands of his enemy.