与权利和责任(authority and responsibility)相关的英语习语

carry the can
承受指责,承担责任,背黑锅

  • As usual, I was left to carry the can.
    像往常一样,就剩下我来承担责任。
  • We are a luxury restaurant and if people have a bad experience, we have to carry the can.
    我们这是豪华饭店,如果客人用餐不愉快,背黑锅的就是我们。

get/let (sb) off the hook
(使)摆脱困境,逃避惩罚

  • His opponents have no intention of letting him off the hook until he agrees to leave office immediately.
    在他同意马上离职之前,他的对手不打算放过他。
  • Government officials accused of bribery and corruption get off the hook with monotonous regularity.
    被指控贪污受贿的政府官员无一例外总能脱身。

leave sb to their own devices
听任某人自行其是;对某人不加干涉

  • He seemed to be a responsible person, so I left him to his own devices.
    他看起来是个很负责的人,因此我让他自己决定。
  • Left to his own devices, Osborn is a fluent — and often original — guitarist.
    任其自由发挥时,奥斯本是一个弹奏流畅、常常富有创意的吉他手。

be on the receiving end
遭受、承受、经历(不愉快的事);;成为受害者

  • Sales assistants are often on the receiving end of verbal abuse from customers.
    售货员经常遭到顾客的辱骂。
  • You saw hate in their eyes and you were on the receiving end of that hate.
    你在他们的眼睛里看到仇恨,而且你就是他们仇恨的对象。
  • Having been on the receiving end of their back stabbing, I have become very aware of what I say and to whom.
    作为她们那些暗箭的靶子,我变得对自己说的话以及和谁说话都非常注意。
  • She found herself on the receiving end of a great deal of criticism.
    她发现自己遭到众多的批评。

at sb's beck and call
听命于,唯……之命是从

  • Go and get it yourself! I'm not at your beck and call, you know.
    自己去拿!我才不听你使唤呢。
  • I knew he was trying to wheedle me into being at his beck and call.
    我知道这是他拉拢我,好让我俯首贴耳地为他效劳。

get your own way
(说服别人以便)达到自己的目的,能按自己的主意行事,随心所欲

  • My little brother always gets his own way.
    我的小弟总是能遂心如愿。
  • She always gets her own way in the end.
    到最后总是她说了算。

go your own way
一意孤行;我行我素

  • It's best to let her go her own way if you don't want a fight.
    你要不想吵架的话,最好是随她去好了。

wechat-qrcode